Sunday, July 26, 2009

WTF Job?

I recently read Job, and until I really got into it I was pretty sure I had read it before. As it turns out I had only read probably the first five chapters. Now, I have heard several sermons on Job throughout my life, and what I found disappointing while reading it is that I'm pretty sure all of the speakers I've heard preach on the subject have also only read the first 5 chapters. It's been a lot about "life can be hard, but look at poor Job, endure and be blessed." However what I've never heard anyone speak on is the bulk of the book. From about chapter 6 to chapter 38 it goes back and forth between Job talking about how much of a dick he thinks God is, to his friends accusing him of every sin under the sun. Eventually God shows up and sets everyone straight, but where is the sinless Job from all the sermons I've heard? I find as Christians we're so ingrained in a mixture of tradition, common understanding and a sort of false theology bread from ignorance that we often close ourselves off from truth. Everything needs to be candy coated. But I pose this to you: If something is different than you thought it was, but true in your new understanding of it, and it doesn't negate the majesty of Christ, or God the father, then how can it be dangerous?

A friend of mine was teaching Adult Sunday School classes at his church, and happened to point out that the Hebrew word for Angel is the same as the word for Messenger. So occasionally, when the Bible says Angel, it could mean messenger. As he pointed this out one of the students became quite angry with him, and shouted "that makes no sense!" This fact however, gives us a better understanding of the text, it neither negates or degrades the verity of the messenger's words. It is still a message from God to his people.

2 Timothy 3:16 says
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"

so why as Christians are we so afraid of scripture? If by reading and examining the scriptures will we unweave the fabric of God? On the contrary the in depth study of scripture can only affirm the true nature of God in his righteousness.

Job 38:1-3
1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:

2 "Who is this that darkens my counsel
with words without knowledge?

3 Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.

Job 42:1-6
1 Then Job replied to the LORD :

2 "I know that you can do all things;
no plan of yours can be thwarted.

3 You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?'
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me to know.

4 "You said, 'Listen now, and I will speak;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.'

5 My ears had heard of you
but now my eyes have seen you.

6 Therefore I despise myself
and repent in dust and ashes."

No comments:

Post a Comment