Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sabbath

It's hard for me to rest. I can't do it. I get all antsy. The first vacation that Sarah and I ever took was consumed by thoughts and dreams of work. dreams for crap sake! But I got over it, I told the working world that I need a sabbath, and they complied with little resistance.

Exodus 20:8
Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

What's that? School work counts as work? But God, you don't understand, this is due on Wednesday, and I have to work Monday, so today is really the most convenient time for me to read this...

It's just built in. Years of living in North America has ingrained this workworkwork feeling into my brain. This country of lost sabbath has tricked me into feeling guilty if I'm not busy.

Why can't I just trust you God? You've never let me down before, and yet I'm so hesitant. I should trust that you've made time in the week for me to read, that you've made my mind in such a way that I'll be able to read fast and comprehend everything I've read.

Genesis 2:2
By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.

We have created a world of instant gratification. A world where there is always more work, and it needs to be done now.

God created the world in 6 days and on the 7th day he rested.

We have created a world where it is always day number 6 and never day number 7.

Day after day it is just 6,6,6...

And it is written on my forehead as I think about all the work I have to do instead of reflecting on the words of the Most High.

And it is written on my hands as I work on the holiest day of the week.

So here is my trust my hope and my prayer; that you have made me a competent person Lord, that you have made me industrious enough to read all I need to, and do all I need to in 6 out of 7 days. Here is a whole day for you, a day sacrificed to you, torn away from the altar of overtime. Preserved and dedicated for me and you.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment